Monday, January 22, 2018
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

"Do The Dells" Copyright Discussion at the October meeting
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: "Do The Dells" Copyright Discussion at the October meeting

"Do The Dells" Copyright Discussion at the October meeting 7 years, 3 months ago #3630

After reading the FAQ on the governments web site it seems that as soon as the Wisconsin Club used the phrase and put it to paper it was already copyrighted. It is just not registered to the club.
A quick on line registration does not look difficult or costly ($35). I will look into it further and print out the requirements for the application for the November meeting discussion.

See the parts of the FAQ below.
---------------
When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

Why should I register my work if copyright protection is automatic?
Registration is recommended for a number of reasons. Many choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate of registration. Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees in successful litigation. Finally, if registration occurs within 5 years of publication, it is considered prima facie evidence in a court of law.

See you on the road,
John

John Wasilczuk
---------------------

Re: "Do The Dells" Copyright Discussion at the October meeting 7 years, 3 months ago #3631

• Womanridge
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for looking into this John.
A question:
What does it mean "work". Are they refering to a document or would it refer to any word or combination? "Do the Dells" might be considered a Slogan or trademark. Good luck and thankks for the initiative.

Re: "Do The Dells" Copyright Discussion at the October meeting 7 years, 3 months ago #3632

Karen you were right to question the term "work". "Do The Dells" is NOT a work but a phrase or slogan and can not be copyrighted. It may be able to be trademarked but I doubt that it is worth it. The application to file electronically is $325. I think we can find better ways to spend club money.

Oh and just in case you were wondering in the copyright FAQ's section there is the following.
How do I protect my sighting of Elvis?
How many times did they get that question before they actually decided to include it?

I did search the Trademark site and "Do The Dells" is not trademarked and the closest phrase that I found was:

"DUDE, YOU'RE GETTING A DELL!"

Re: "Do The Dells" Copyright Discussion at the October meeting 7 years, 3 months ago #3633

• rich hehn
  • Gold Boarder
I found "Do the Dells" connected to a prep volleyball tournament, and a theater group in the dells, so I'm thinking we're out of luck anyway.

Re: "Do The Dells" Copyright Discussion at the October meeting 7 years, 3 months ago #3634

• Joanne
  • Expert Boarder
We might be able to prohibit using that term if they use the same unique typeface we are using, but I think it is pointless. I got the original idea from Mountain Dew, remember "Do the Dew". So what goes around comes around. Humm......how about we expand it to "Dude, Do the Dells"!!!

Re: "Do The Dells" Copyright Discussion at the October meeting 7 years, 3 months ago #3635

I have to agree with you Joanne, it seems pointless. You have to know when to pick your fights and I guess on this topic you should picture me running away and screaming like a little girl.

Re: "Do The Dells" Copyright Discussion at the October meeting 7 years, 3 months ago #3636

• Tom S.
  • Gold Boarder
John, I just got a visual image of that....it wasn't pretty.
Tom
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.14 seconds

Around the Web

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Facebook
Email us for support Email us for support

Login Form